[CentOS-devel] CBS and SIGs consuming CentOS 8 / Stream

Thu Sep 26 06:17:36 UTC 2019
Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy at redhat.com>

On ke, 25 syys 2019, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:04:53AM +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> On 25/09/2019 08:47, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > how can SIGs start building their packages for the newly released CentOS
>> > 8 and CentOS Stream?
>> > CBS seems missing CentOS 8.
>>
>> Hi Sandro,
>>
>> That's a good discussion/thread to start with SIGs members : I guess
>> that we'd need to import both 8 and 8-stream and SIGs can ask to build
>> against the two, and so different tags/repositories (but opt-in choice
>> for SIGs)
>>
>> At the infra side, the current CBS setup would need to have a refresh at
>> least, as, while all builders/kojid were migrated to CentOS 7, kojihub
>> is still on 6.
>> So, but worth investigating also with Thomas, we'd need to schedule a
>> maintenance window to
>> - install kojihub/web on a CentOS 7 node
>> - upgrade kojihub/web/kojid everywhere
>> - install required pkgs on all builders to be able to understand c8
>> (newer pkgs are required, as that's what we had also to build first to
>> bootstrap c8 on c7 builders outside of CBS) :
>> https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packages?tagID=1720
>>
>> So all that should be discussed, eventually here and/or cbs meeting, and
>> the come back with a plan.
>> Initially, I thought that maybe going with mbox (the all-in-one
>> deployment method that we used to have the c8 build farm setup, and
>> visible on https://koji.mbox.centos.org) was the way to go for next CBS,
>> as setting MBS (needed if some SIGs want to have a possibility to also
>> build modules) isn't trivial to add to cbs ...
>>
>> Maybe that can come in two steps :
>> - upgrade to koji (as it is right now) and no modules builds
>> - migrate later to something that can permit modules builds (through mbs)
>
>If this has been answered somewhere before, please point me to it..
>
>RE: modules v/s rpms, podman, buildah and their dependencies are standalone
>rpms in Fedora while in RHEL they are in the 'container-tools' module.
>
>With CentOS Stream being midstream, would these packages be present in a module
>to be more like RHEL or as standalone rpms like in Fedora?
>
>FWIW, I try to ensure that the latest release branch of all my Fedora
>packages is buildable on CBS, so I'm really glad to see this midstream approach.

I'll answer you from FreeIPA point of view which is the same way (no
modules in Fedora, modules in RHEL). CentOS Stream builds of FreeIPA
packages are in modules. If they weren't, CentOS Stream would not be
compatible with RHEL.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer