[CentOS-devel] os/ and kickstart/ seem identical on Centos 8?

Thu Sep 26 09:07:35 UTC 2019
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 26/09/2019 10:06, Kaj Niemi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is it on purpose that under AppStream, BaseOS, PowerTools (but not under
> extras, fasttrack and centosplusplus) there is an os and a kickstart
> directory for each architecture? On a quick glance the directory layout
> and contents seem rather identical.
>
> Asking as “we” do a local mirror of releases and started wondering about
> the amount of disk space 8 takes.

Hi,

kickstart is a snapshot of os at GA/release time.
So that permits people to deploy with exactly same content without
having a moving target, as BaseOS/AppStream will be including updates as
they land.

WRT disk space, hopefully, as explained on how to mirror correctly
(https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors) , you use -H for
rsync, as we heavily use hardlinks in our trees so that it reduces space
and also used bandwidth to sync mirror content

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab