[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 docker images

Fri Sep 27 12:12:23 UTC 2019
Ladar Levison <ladar at lavabit.com>

On 9/27/19 9:00 AM, Lance Albertson wrote:
> When can we expect docker images with CentOS 8? I see there's already
> an issue [1] open for it. Is there anything we can do to help make it
> happen?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-images/issues/151

I published my initial CentOS 8 images for Docker, and Vagrant earlier
this week. The Docker image could certainly be improved, but your
welcome to use it:

https://hub.docker.com/r/roboxes/centos8

You can also find the Packer templates and scripts used to create it
(and suggest improvements) here:

https://github.com/lavabit/roboxes/

On my own list of TODOs: the RHEL 8 and by extension, the CentOS 8
version of Anaconda, require a number of microcode/firmware packages
that were typically removed from RHEL 7 and CentOS 7 containers. But
they need to be included with 8, or it breaks the automated install
process. I haven't tried removing them post-install yet.

I believe Brian Stinson, who has posted to this list in the past, has
been building CentOS 8 containers for a couple of months, but I don't
know if any of his images, or configs are available for download. You
can always ask though.

L~