[CentOS-devel] [Cloud SIG]: Building updated RPMs for OpenStack Client and SDK for CentOS 7

Nils.Magnus at t-systems.com

Mon Apr 20 13:27:54 UTC 2020

Hi CentOS developers, especially Cloud SIG team,

tl;dr: I need some help in packaging Python3 packages available in PyPI for CentOS 7.

Details:

we are a public cloud provider based on OpenStack and many of our customers and partners unfortunately still request CentOS 7 images for their VMs. In my team we support the upstream development of OpenStack SDK and OpenStack Client (both seem to be de facto one combined team now) and also provide some extensions specific to our cloud (via a plugin mechanism in recent releases of the SDK).

Our clients frequently ask for updated RPMs for CentOS 7. I wonder if you as CentOS community at large are interested in having them as well, or, if not, if you could point me in the right direction how to build them.

One major conflict I am currently struggling with is that virtually all Python 2.7 code is not only no longer supported (due to a community goal in OpenStack), but actually removed (which is in itself a good decision, no doubt about it). The mentioned packages work well with Python 3, but as I understand it, Python 3 is not available by vanilla CentOS 7.

The affected packages are available in PyPI:

  *   https://pypi.org/project/openstacksdk/ (version 0.46.0)
  *   https://pypi.org/project/python-openstackclient/ (version 5.2.0, not to be confused with "openstackclient" without the "python-" prefix, which is stuck at 4.0.0)
  *   https://pypi.org/project/otcextensions/ (version 0.6.9, but this our own business)

They are all easily installed with "pip" once you have a Python 3 environment, but draw a total of 100 other packages as dependencies. Could you please advise how to proceed if someone insists on RPMs for those?

Thank you + Regards,

/Nils