[CentOS-devel] @ SIG Openstack / Centos8 repos colliding

Matthias Runge

mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Apr 24 15:23:28 UTC 2020

On 24/04/2020 15:59, lejeczek via CentOS-devel wrote:

>> CloudSIG repos are not created nor tested to work with EPEL.
>
> Yet they should be. Everything should be tested and should
> take as much advantage of EPEL as possible, as EPEL is for
> almost every "regular"
> scientific/small,large/business/education - and whichever
> other names one could come up with - environment, the
> must-have repo.
> If SIGs do not start crawling out their "special" closets
> and do not work with EPEL tightly then the rest of us will
> continue to suffer constant packages conflicts. Stuff
> collides way too often!
> Or rid of EPEL altogether and just give us a consistent &
> stable software repositories.
>
>> Among other reasons CloudSIG support several stable
>> releases which require different dependencies versions and
>> EPEL is single rolling release.

There is a reason for not including EPEL in e.g CloudSig or Opstools:
EPEL is not gated and as Alfredo already mentioned, a rolling release.

There was a time when cloud SIG relied on EPEL, but e.g an all test days
we organized for real people to test new deployments, then EPEL was
broken; for various reasons: person a upgraded puppet, person b pushed a
broken build, etc. etc. Coming from that experience, I would not pull it
in and rather contribute to a CentOS SIG to have more control on the
content; it is easier and more reliable to handle upgrades there.

IMHO EPEL is something you can use; but if you do, understand that every
fedora packager can push their packages to EPEL. There are rules, but
not all packagers care about the upgrade policy.
I totally understand, where you are coming from, but EPEL is too
unstable in my experience.

Matthias