[CentOS-devel] CentOS logo and brand update on the next board meeting agenda

Wed Apr 1 13:49:50 UTC 2020
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at redhat.com>

Ok, it is very good that we are having this discussion now.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 2:32 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> I appreciate all the work that you and areguera did .. and i like the
> rounded design.  I would be happy with one of each of the 4 basic colors
> AND the one we have, and one with all 4 colors in place.
>
> Also maybe a white single color that could be put on a dark background.

This is actually what I had in my mind for most uses of the logo. White
logo over dark has good visibility, and it works great with any dark color,
which helps with fabric colors for shirts etc as well. It would also look
very good on wallpapers and web design etc, if you have a dark background
photo with a white logo on top. Simple and powerful.

Do you know whether the four colors (yellow, green, purple and blue)
represent something specific or if they have some history? Just like with
the chaos symbol, I would like to understand the legacy and history to do a
better job of preserving the "spirit" while modernising the look. If there
is a story behind the colors, we should find a sensible way to carry it
along to the updated brand.

Tuomas