[CentOS-devel] Missing -devel packages

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Thu Aug 13 15:02:23 UTC 2020

On 8/12/20 2:01 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
> Am 12.08.20 um 16:55 schrieb Johnny Hughes:

>>> Turns out the syncing was fixed, but the ticket not closed.
>>> Sorry for all the noise.
>>> If I had just tried to rebuild my package again, I would have seen it
>>> was fixed.
>>>
>>> Troy
>>
>> Thanks Troy .. as i said, we did get SOME packages added and they SHOULD
>> stay fixed.
>>
>> But some -devel packages are also not fixed, as there are lots of things
>> that need to be modified in the automation to keep them fixed.
>

> I am not so deep in this "koji mbox pungi" infra thing but like other
> devel packages, they are also the output of the build process and
> survive the repo build, so why not letting them also there where they
> already are? I can not believe that this is hardcoded in "koji mbox
> pungi" :-)?
>
> Ok, the argument is - RHEL is ... and CentOS will be also so. Okay.
> (Side note does Upstream have a rhelplus like centosplus repo? So,
> no justification to have not an full populated Devel repo?)
>
> While the packages are _actively_ deleted (process step before repo
> build). Why not substitute "rm $1" with "mv -t Devel $1".
> An automatic process and no need to request packages, like here:
>
> https://bugs.centos.org/view_all_set.php?sort_add=category_id&dir_add=DESC&type=2
>

> The most requests for such devel packages are done because people are
> building others packages that depend on (BuildRequires) also CentOS need
> them. Well, they are devel rpms right. But what I wanted to say is they
> are mostly not requested to get installed for ever and maybe produce bug
> reports etc. (exactly this case is not supported, claimed by upstream).
>
> BTW, you already do the right thing in putting a warning into the
> reponame/file.
>
> Building the SRPM is straight forward and the people have then the
> missing devel packages. So why this hassle?

> As I said, I do not know the internal process. Its just my mental model
> that gets here depicted from a point of view outside of the project.

If I was the decider .. any -devel package that comes out would signed
and released .. I am not the decider.

I don't decide what gets in RHEL -devel files .. nor do i decide what
gets released from pungi .. but it matches what is released in RHEL with
approved additional -devel files.

That is just how it is.

We are working on a