[CentOS-devel] Centos 8.x, dlm Package unavailable

Brian Stinson

bstinson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 20:32:39 UTC 2020

On 8/25/20 11:21 AM, Theodor Mittermair wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to inquire about the status of the "dlm" package on Centos 8,
> which is required for using 'lvmlockd', replacement of 'clvmd'.
> I also asked on #centos irc channel and was directed to this mailing list
> There is a corresponding bug ticket [2] for this issue for quite some
> time, but since the end-of-life of CentOS 6 grows closer, some people
> would like to replace their CentOS 6 Cluster with a CentOS 8 one, which
> is why I ask on this mailing list now.
>
> With the release of CentOS 8.0 it seems there were some issues with
> HighAvailability in general [1], but seem to have been resolved with
> CentOS 8.1.
>
> However, as already mentioned there is a separate ticket [2], for the
> dlm package, which is unresolved as far ( 2020-08-25, Centos8.2 ) as i
> am aware.
> This prevents the use of clustered lvm and gfs2 out of the box, not an
> uncommon use when configuring a HA Cluster, also described by RedHat
> documentation [3].
> In that tickets' conversation, it is mentioned that "that package is not
> in RHEL .. we have released what is in RHEL", however someone else
> seemed to have been in contact with RedHat and received information that
> "...this package is in fact part of a RedHat repository and then CentOS
> members should be able to take a look into it again...".
>
> I'd also like to bring attention to the following explicitly:
> * dlm-lib and dlm seem to be built from the same source rpm, dlm-lib is
> available while dlm is not.
> * apparently at some point in time dlm could be downloaded from koji
> [4], but no more. For testing purposes we built dlm ourselves, locally
> as well as on copr [5], which seems to work thus far.
> * fedora (however much this might mean) provides dlm.
> * It might just be a configuration error on the build system, if I
> understood correctly, there was/is larger amounts of restructuring. Also
> see chders' post from 2020-08-21 [2], which provides a possible
> explanation and solution.
>
> For completeness, you should be able reproduce the absence of that
> package with:
> "yum --disablerepo='*'
> --enablerepo=BaseOS,AppStream,HighAvailability,epel,cr,centosplus,PowerTools,Devel,extras,fasttrack
> list available | grep dlm"
> or simply attempt to
> "yum install dlm"
> on your CentOS 8.x Installation.
>
> Therefore, I would like to ask:
> Is this an error on my end, am I doing something wrong or missing a
> configuration?
> If no, is there actually any political/technical/administrative/law
> based reason for the unavailability of the "dlm" package?
> If no, according to recent posts on the ticket [2], there might be a
> rather simple solution (simplified, declaring the package to be included
> in a repository), is it valid and who could do this if applicable?

> [...]

Hi Folks,

Some clarity will follow on how we plan to deliver Addon repositories
like ResilientStorage, HighAvailability and NFV.

Because of Red Hat’s desire to develop Addons along with the next minor
release of RHEL our plan is to enable ResilientStorage and NFV in CentOS
Stream for direct consumption.

If you think a package belongs in another repository, we encourage you
to open a CentOS Stream bugzilla to discuss with RHEL maintainers:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Red%20Hat%20Enterprise%20Linux%208&version=CentOS%20Stream

We do not plan to expand the portfolio of Addons for CentOS Linux.

If there is a group of interested folks who wish to maintain extra
content built against CentOS Linux, you may apply for a Special Interest
Group: https://wiki.centos.org/SIGGuide

Cheers!
--Brian