[CentOS-devel] Missing -devel packages

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:01:55 UTC 2020

Am 12.08.20 um 16:55 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
> On 8/11/20 12:10 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:

>>> You already have them published, that work is done.
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8.2.2004/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>>>
>>> It doesn't say it in the ticket, but from conversations the rsync area
>>> that was setup for EPEL8 to sync that over, something happened and
>>> they can't sync anymore.
>>> I don't know the details.  It's possible that the syncing is already
>>> fixed, and they just need to restart and/or update their script.
>>>
>>> Troy
>>
>> Turns out the syncing was fixed, but the ticket not closed.
>> Sorry for all the noise.
>> If I had just tried to rebuild my package again, I would have seen it was fixed.
>>
>> Troy
>
> Thanks Troy .. as i said, we did get SOME packages added and they SHOULD
> stay fixed.
>
> But some -devel packages are also not fixed, as there are lots of things
> that need to be modified in the automation to keep them fixed.

I am not so deep in this "koji mbox pungi" infra thing but like other
devel packages, they are also the output of the build process and
survive the repo build, so why not letting them also there where they
already are? I can not believe that this is hardcoded in "koji mbox
pungi" :-)?

Ok, the argument is - RHEL is ... and CentOS will be also so. Okay.
(Side note does Upstream have a rhelplus like centosplus repo? So,
no justification to have not an full populated Devel repo?)

While the packages are _actively_ deleted (process step before repo
build). Why not substitute "rm $1" with "mv -t Devel $1".
An automatic process and no need to request packages, like here:

https://bugs.centos.org/view_all_set.php?sort_add=category_id&dir_add=DESC&type=2

The most requests for such devel packages are done because people are
building others packages that depend on (BuildRequires) also CentOS need
them. Well, they are devel rpms right. But what I wanted to say is they
are mostly not requested to get installed for ever and maybe produce bug
reports etc. (exactly this case is not supported, claimed by upstream).

BTW, you already do the right thing in putting a warning into the
reponame/file.

Building the SRPM is straight forward and the people have then the
missing devel packages. So why this hassle?

As I said, I do not know the internal process. Its just my mental model
that gets here depicted from a point of view outside of the project.

--
Thanks,
Leon