[CentOS-devel] Reminder: CentOS 6 EOL on 30 November 2020

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 22:25:47 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 16:37, Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 16:09, Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM Patrick Riehecky <riehecky at fnal.gov>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not really very happy with this throwing an error.
>
> I get it. People need to upgrade. But breaking things that are part of
> automated processes is a crappy way to get the message across.
>
> As I mentioned, upgrades will take some time still, and now I have more
> work to deal with our unupgraded systems, so now it will take even longer
> to upgrade.
>
> Thanks a bunch.
>
> (Sorry for the sarcasm, but this is not a nice way to deal with the
> situation).

1. I am not happy with this myself. I wasn't happy when it happened in EL5
or EL4 or others. However, it is the way things have been done with EOL
releases in CentOS for a very long time and was explained that this would
be the way it would happen for a year.
2. Fix 1: Mirror the content from an archive of the site closer to your
network. It is only a couple hundred gigabytes. Then either use /etc/hosts
or change configs so it is used as the place to get content.
3. Fix 2: Use an upstream mirror like
https://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/ but expect it to be overloaded at
times.
4. Fix 3: Just add enabled=0 to CentOS-Base.repo systems. They aren't going
to get updates anymore anyway.

On my CentOS6  systems I have a /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Vault.repo which I
added the following to:
```
#-----------------

[C6.10-base]
name=CentOS-6.10 - Base
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.10/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=1

[C6.10-updates]
name=CentOS-6.10 - Updates
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.10/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=1

[C6.10-extras]
name=CentOS-6.10 - Extras
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.10/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=1

[C6.10-contrib]
name=CentOS-6.10 - Contrib
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.10/contrib/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0

[C6.10-centosplus]
name=CentOS-6.10 - CentOSPlus
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.10/centosplus/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0
```

I then edited the CentOS-Base.repo to
```
[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=extras&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0
```

I am now starting a slow copy of the vault for my later use.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.