[CentOS-devel] Reminder: CentOS 6 EOL on 30 November 2020

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 2 22:59:41 UTC 2020

On 12/2/20 4:26 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 12/2/20 11:36 PM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com
>> <mailto:smooge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 16:09, Phelps, Matthew
>>     <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>> wrote:
>>

>>         On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM Patrick Riehecky
>>         <riehecky at fnal.gov <mailto:riehecky at fnal.gov>> wrote:
>>
>>             Some folks may continue running EL6 based systems, but we
>>             need to make
>>             sure it is obvious that we're not providing any security
>>             updates.
>>             Moving the repos off the mirror network will provide a
>>             hint to folks
>>             doing a simple 'yum update' that something is not the way
>>             it once was.
>>

>>             Pat
>>

>>         Whoa!
>>
>>         What will happen if I run a "yum update" on a CO6 machine? We
>>         have it run automatically at reboot and I need to know what
>>         will happen so I can see if the rest of the scripts we run at
>>         startup will be OK.
>>
>>         Yes we are updating them, but it's hard to do when you can't
>>         go onsite due to COVID.
>>

>>     You will get every system running through messages like this
>>

>>     [root at linode01 ~]# yum update
>>     Loaded plugins: etckeeper, fastestmirror
>>     Setting up Update Process
>>     epel/metalink
>>                                                | 2.5 kB     00:00
>>     epel-testing/metalink
>>                                                | 2.6 kB     00:00
>>      * base: mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net
>>     <http://mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net>
>>      * epel: d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net
>>     <http://d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net>
>>      * epel-testing: d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net
>>     <http://d2lzkl7pfhq30w.cloudfront.net>
>>      * extras: mirror.netdepot.com <http://mirror.netdepot.com>
>>      * updates: mirrors.usinternet.com <http://mirrors.usinternet.com>
>>     http://mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net/centos/6.10/os/i386/repodata/repomd.xml
>>     <http://mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net/centos/6.10/os/i386/repodata/repomd.xml>:
>>     [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error:
>>     404 Not Found"
>>     Trying other mirror.
>>     To address this issue please refer to the below wiki article
>>
>>     https://wiki.centos.org/yum-errors
>>     <https://wiki.centos.org/yum-errors>
>>
>>     If above article doesn't help to resolve this issue please use
>>     https://bugs.centos.org/ <https://bugs.centos.org/>.
>>     http://bay.uchicago.edu/centos/6.10/extras/i386/repodata/repomd.xml <http://bay.uchicago.edu/centos/6.10/extras/i386/repodata/repomd.xml>:
>>     [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error:
>>     404 Not Found"
>>     Trying other mirror.
>>
>>     until it finds some mirror which will work (that one mirror seems
>>     to be updating for everyone in the world so is very slow).
>>
>>     or it will do the following:
>>
>>     [root at linode01 ~]# yum clean all
>>     Loaded plugins: etckeeper, fastestmirror
> [...]

We have been doing it this was for 17 years .. Literally since the
inception of CentOS Linux. I have announced it several times and it has
always been done exactly like this.  CentOS Linux 2.1, 3.x, 4.x and 5.x
have all been done this way.

It is on vault.centos.org .. download a final copy to your own local mirror.

All older versions are on vault.centos.org and have always been (same
versions as mentioned above).

We can not leave, in the production location, things that will never be
updated and can have security issues.