[CentOS-devel] Reminder: CentOS 6 EOL on 30 November 2020

jc

jcolson at criticalmention.com
Thu Dec 3 13:53:36 UTC 2020

On 12/2/20 5:59 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> We have been doing it this was for 17 years .. Literally since the
> inception of CentOS Linux. I have announced it several times and it has
> always been done exactly like this.  CentOS Linux 2.1, 3.x, 4.x and 5.x
> have all been done this way.

The problem that bit me was that prior to Nov 30, I couldn't even _test_
a change to my kickstart and puppet infrastructure because 6.10 wasn't
populated. Then I had to rush like mad yesterday to get new kickstarts,
a puppet production merge, 4 AMIs, and a libvirt image tested and
released because _all_ newly spun or newly kicked hosts failed. The
grace period given was 2 days. I was technically ready to release on Dec
1st having tested out the vault changes on Nov 30. However, EPEL wasn't
done syncing to their archived location so my changes were only half way
done. At 4am on the 2nd I had to rush around while autoscaling groups
were breaking left and right.

So I guess my two asks are these:

1) sync to the vault well before EOL (and obviously sync anytime the
main repos get updated in those last few weeks) so that this can be
tested by people before the cutoff date.
2) coordinate with EPEL's archive migration.

--
jc