[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:29:58 UTC 2020

Am 08.12.20 um 23:22 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 12:44:36PM -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage via CentOS wrote:
>>> CentOS 8's future is not looking bright. Recently deployed CentOS8 on my
>>> production workload and now hearing this. What do other folks think
>>> about this?
>> Speaking only for myself, I am ready to give up on CentOS (and Red Hat)
>> entirely. Fedora meets all my clients' needs with none of the chaos.
>
> I definitely appreciate the vote of confidence in Fedora! You're not alone
> in using Fedora in a lot of serious ways.
>
> However, I really encourage everyone to give this a chance. This is
> (post-Fedora) RHEL development opening up in a new way, and CentOS is
> central to it. That's a good place to be!

Its important to distinguish two aspects here in this whole discussion.

Its great that RH opens their "firewalls". CentOS Stream is great
for that but what actually pissed the people off is the termination
of CentOS8 Linux. So all arguments for C8S doesn't touch the problem
that people have now. And no - C8S is not a valid substitution. Its
valid for a different usage scenario that is of course worth to get a
chance but the mentioned problem don't get addressed ...

__
Leon