[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Wed Dec 9 16:39:52 UTC 2020

On 12/9/20 4:25 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:16 AM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org
> <mailto:pperry at elrepo.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/12/2020 15:08, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>     > On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:59 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic
>     <centos at plnet.rs <mailto:centos at plnet.rs>
>     > <mailto:centos at plnet.rs <mailto:centos at plnet.rs>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     So when you remove binary compatibility, why would anyone
>     bother with
>     >     CentOS/RHEL unless they want a job in a company that pays for RHEL
>     >     support?
>     >
>     > What sort of binaries are you concerned about being incompatible?
>
>     Any kernel device drivers, for a start. Kind of critical if your
>     SAS/RAID device wont boot, or your network device doesn't come up, or
>     your GUI doesn't start because your display drivers aren't compatible
>     anymore. Just minor things like that maybe?
>

> OK, so out-of-tree drivers.  If those keep on working does that make
> CentOS Stream viable for your use?

The problem we CentOS users have with "RHEL Stream" is "IF" it works. I
do not want to think about "IF". RHEL Stream is meant to constantly,
daily get packages and patches that are not yet tested, to BE tested on
users.  From RHEL Stream FAQ: "CentOS Stream is a distribution that
community members can use to take advantage of a stable ABI/API for
development and testing," DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING.

I do not have time to mess with "might work, might not" testing distro,
otherwise I would play on the sand with Fedora. RHEL clone is best
available option and in return for me using code prepared for RHEL I was
telling anyone who would listen how CentOS is great, for me better then
Debian/Ubuntu or other distro's. CentOS Facebook group has more members
then Fedora FB group, partially due to me posting ton of resource links
and how-to's and helping anyone who asked for help even if I had to look
for answer my self.
I do NOT have FAITH that Stream will be production ready, and I do not
have free time to experiment or check if it will work or not when I run
update, and that is only thing that matters. No amount of "do not worry"
will change my mind. As soon as it is crystal clear (I still hope) that
"CentOS Linux" is dead, I will stop advocating for CentOS, actually I
will start advocating AGAINST CentOS and look for alternatives, either
other clones or Debian.

I will not respond to any more e-mails or tweets about this topic, there