[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Stef Walter

swalter at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 17:40:04 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz> wrote:

> I don't use CentOS Stream, I use RHEL. I use RHEL to develop software
>> for RHEL and compatible OS clones, including CentOS. If Stream retains
>> binary compatibility, and specifically kernel ABI compatibility, then
>> the users of the software packages we develop can continue to use them.
>> If not, they can't. Simple as that. So please don't push rolling kernel
>> updates to Stream that break the kernel ABI.

Indeed. If any such broken change (eg: that breaks kernel ABI) is pushed to
Stream, that is treated as a serious problem by the RHEL engineering teams.
We have the necessary process in place to QE test changes before they
arrive in CentOS Stream.

I understand this fact alone is not a panacea for all the problems people
are highlighting. But it does seem to cover your use case. From a
regression, stability, ABI, and kernel ABI perspective, it is the goal and
focus of many of us in RHEL Engineering for CentOS Stream to be stable.

Cheers,

Stef

> Rolling kernel updates are going to kill all the traditional HPC clusters.
> Almost 25% of the TOP 500 HPC clusters run CentOS. See
> https://www.top500.org/statistics/list/
> DH

Stef Walter (he / his)
Linux Engineering