[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Scott Dowdle

dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Dec 9 22:01:21 UTC 2020

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> First thing if you switch to streams, it installs subscription-manager.
> If you try to uninstall it, tuned is going to be removed. Feels like
> bullying on all levels.

That isn't anything to worry about and certainly not nefarious.  subscription-manager is also packaged in Fedora.  I'm not sure what it is good for... but it is fairly common that sometimes we get deps we don't want or think are necessary... yet the packager, knowing more about the underlying details, thought otherwise.  I have not investigated the specifics on it though.

> Since then I have migrated all of my personal CentOS 6 to CentOS 8.

Most people don't leap-frog major releases but you are certainly free do that if desired.

> And right after the end of CentOS 6, CentOS 8 rebuild is going to be destroyed within a
> few months.

If by a "few months" you mean 12+ and by "destroyed" you mean "with an upgrade path to Stream that goes until 2024"... you are so right.

> So lets support the free linux distributions or create another rebuild project.

I guess you could use a coin flip to decide.  I prefer to wait an see.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street