[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Japheth Cleaver

cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Dec 9 22:45:32 UTC 2020

On 12/9/2020 2:01 PM, Scott Dowdle wrote:

>> Since then I have migrated all of my personal CentOS 6 to CentOS 8.
> Most people don't leap-frog major releases but you are certainly free do that if desired.

"Most" people probably don't, but speaking anecdotally I know a number
that have. EL6 was "just working" during EL7's instability, and a lot of
folks chose to hold out for EL8 (modularity weirdness aside). Many of
them, myself included, used the EOL as the push to upgrade with the 8.3
release around the corner, taking a larger than normal forklift because
"it was the right thing to do" for future-proofing if an upgrade was
going to happen.

For that leap of faith, CentOS users are being punished with worse
planned support than the previous release will be getting. That's one
reason for the sting -- certainly one reason for me.

-jc