[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Simon Matter

simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri Dec 11 20:52:59 UTC 2020

> On 12/10/20 4:19 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> I do
>> want to say that with CentOS Stream, we're committed to developing a
>> stable and world class project that literally produces RHEL.  I hope
>> in the future if you decide to revisit your OS choice that you take a
>> moment and see what we're doing here.  I think you might find that
>> we're working very hard to avoid the things you're concerned about,
>> because we*need*  to avoid those same things in RHEL anyway.
>

> I think it might be fair to say that CentOS Stream can't accomplish Red
> Hat's goals if it has no users, and it won't have any users if it isn't
> reliable.  The people who are alarmed that CentOS Stream will be
> suddenly unreliable aren't thinking clearly about Red Hat's intent for
> that distribution.

I understand why RedHat came up with the idea of CentOS Stream and it
makes sense for them. BUT, something is missing for many of us and it will
probably greatly reduce the number of users of CentOS Stream and as such,
reduce the positive effects CS could have. The problem is that the stable
part of CentOS Linux is missing in future and may prevent many of us from
using CentOS Stream as well.

What I could probably live with is:
- Create point releases of CentOS Stream at the same time like the RHEL
releases.
- Feed point releases with updates like RHEL updates.
- Clearly tag CentOS Stream different than RHEL, clX?
- CS can contain changes which are not made in RHEL
- CS kernel disables less modules to enhance support for older hardware
not supported in RHEL anymore.
- CS packages may enable features not enabled and therefore supported7 in
RHEL
- CS may not be absolutely identical to RHEL but as stable as RHEL in
general.

That means, folks who run commercial software need to run it on RHEL to
have support and be absolutely sure things work. If they pay for
commercial software they should also pay RedHat!

Those using only free software can use CentOS point releases where they
need most stability and run CentOS Stream where they can do it and by
doing so help with development of upstream. Most IT people, developers and
admins will most likely be willing to run CentOS Stream and be part of a
fruitful community.

Looking forward to hear your ideas.

Simon