[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Tue Dec 15 18:36:22 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 6:59 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I'd also just add that while I find Johnny's characterization of what
> happened accurate, Ljubomir took a couple of leaps that I don't think
> existed.  Red Hat decided not to continue paying actual money for what
> was actively harming us and no longer providing the value that it once
> did.  No one, not even the board, could force Red Hat to continue paying
> for this project which was just not working for us.  I'm not going to
> say that the announcement was the board's idea or even that they were
> happy about it.  I think the previous course and speed of CentOS was
> well understood.  But that no longer worked for Red Hat who is paying
> for people, servers, swag, etc.  The list goes on.

I can only analyze in hindsight, no way around it.

I thought of that too, but there is a little snag. If Red Hat was unable
to pay for "CentOS Linux" rebuild, what effectively PREVENTED Red Hat to
announce that they can not continue to finance rebuild project, and to
ASK/ALLOW FOR DONATIONS that would be used for rebuild project?

If Red Hat REALLY wanted (or still wants!) for CentOS project to
continue rebuilding RHEL clone, all it had to due is announce that
donations in hardware or manpower are needed for it to continue.

Here is a way out!:

Even NOW it is still NOT TOO LATE to decide that Red hat employees that
work in CentOS project are free to spend their free time rebuilding
clone, and can use hardware donated by 3rd parties to organize rebuild.

Hardware is going to be donated for rebuild anyway for Rocky and Lenix
projects, why not enable people and organizations invested in continued
life of RHEL clone to pull RHEL out of the "dark chazam" where Gray
Wizard fell :-) Effort can be separated from "CentOS Stream" and "CentOS
Linux" can continue it's life...

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)