[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

aleksander.baranowski

aleksander.baranowski at yahoo.pl
Tue Dec 15 23:02:20 UTC 2020

Dear Mike,

You are right and at the very same time insanely wrong:

```
CentOS Linux made sense in 2014, it doesn't make sense in 2020.
```

The whole discussion, podcasts, articles and how popular CentOS still
prove otherwise.

```
You may not like it, but the CentOS community didn't evolve in any way
with the industry. When I think about the talent on this list, and in
IRC, I can't help but wonder what went wrong. For whatever reason,
CentOS never grew beyond a community of users.
```

**CentOS had one job - provide a stable platform based on RHEL
sources.** CentOS do not have to evolve. This does not make any sense...
(That why I said that you are insanely wrong). You might ask why CentOS
didn't start "next revolutionary" OS like CoreOS (that I personally
really liked) - because there was no need.

" When I think about the talent on this list, and in IRC, I can't help
but wonder what went wrong."

CentOS is/was used in the biggest clusters around the world. This
clusters made calculations that made a breakthrough in fields of physic,
medicine, computer science and much much more. CentOS is/was in any
serious industry like health care, finances or less demanding but still
quite crucial for our lives like media, marketing, or social media and
much more. I believe that there was no better place to put your talent.

When you are using a system like CentOS, your stack is likely evolving -
but on the very stable platform. Your company could change database
version a few times on **one** CentOS version. Your company can run the
hottest application backend on CentOS. Did you know that PostgreSQL 12
was released for EL (Enterprise Linux) version 6? One system that could
be used for like 8 (you can check number) major releases of the
database. And it doesn't really matter if you are using a public cloud,
private cloud, containers workloads. There is always OS. So for admins
"evolutions" in many cases is same s*** different day.

I'm also deeply sorry that admins/devops/adminops/whateverops are not
evolving as fast as javascript frameworks. A lot of people like it this
way. They won't support solutions that are unstable - because in case of
a f***up, they are the one to take a hit.

When a company that I work for decided to use Scientific Linux (v6 and
v7) as a base instead of CentOS many people were sceptical. When I
decided that we won't make version 8 based on CentOS I already knew that
CentOS soul was sold:

- CentOS blocked koji (x86_64, I'm really grateful that arm koji was
[maybe still is] open)
- CentOS never wrote how to do modules and how it's done. It's always
like "there is repo and we are using koji".
- CentOS removed the most of *-devel packages because RHEL removed them.
It doesn't make any sense. It brought multiple times on epel-devel
mailing list. CentOS was never supported, so why remove unsupported
packages instead of moving them to "all" or "whatever" repo?
- The packages that are required to build a base system are not present
in both CentOS and RHEL -> it means that you cannot rebuild the system
yourself.

To sum this up - CentOS was great part of our stack. The part that was
solid and now it's gone. I didn't have to evolve, we don't need fancier
screwdriver just the one that works.

Best,
Alex

PS. I'm just sorry for RH. It used to great company. I'm sorry that the
next quarter revenue is more important than clients, users, community,
market adaptation and keeping your promises.