[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Brendan Conoboy

blc at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 02:18:42 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 5:42 PM Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM Jason Brooks <jbrooks at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > No. I was on that team too, and growing CentOS beyond just consumption
> > and into contribution was something we emphasized throughout. Our
> > primary intent, the reason the whole thing got started, was that we
> > needed to provide our layered projects with a slow-moving community
> > distro to layer atop. That's why we put so much effort into the SIGs,
> > and into opening up the build processes and tools. Even with that work
> > done, until we opened up RHEL development itself, contributions to the
> > core of CentOS were basically blocked. Now, in addition to the layered
> > project need, which hasn't gone away, we need a distro to open up RHEL
> > development, and CentOS Stream is that distro.
> >
>       Isn't that what fedora is used for?

Fedora is used as a starting point for major release alphas and betas,
i.e., 7.0 Beta, 8.0 Beta, etc.  After the major release beta comes out all
automatic connection between Fedora and RHEL ceases.  RHEL 8.2 was based on
8.1 + upstream changes, 8.1 was based on 8.0 plus upstream changes.  There
simply hasn't been a place where people outside the Red Hat firewall can
see, use, and influence the direction of the next minor release, as it is
being created.  That's what Stream is meant to do.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Linux Project Lead / Red Hat, Inc.