[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 03:07:05 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 1:03 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Whose fault is that? And, to be honest, I never recall such an expectation ever being vocalized during my tenure @ RedHat (FTR: I was one of the people inside OSAS who drove the CentOS "acquisition" along w/ Carl Trieloff).
>
> The whole intent back then was "as long as there is going to be this huge community of 'free-loading' users out there, they might as well be under the RHEL/Fedora umbrella, rather than Canonical or elsewhere." I guess somewhere along the line that changed. The issue isn't that the situation changed but rather that up until very recently, promises were still being made and then RedHat backed out of those promises.

It is actually just as Jason Brooks has spelled out—we needed a
slower-moving platform for our layered projects success. CentOS Linux
was our best bet in 2013, when projects like OpenStack (RDO) and oVirt
were growing and running into pains.

If anything, the community of CentOS Linux users was one of our biggest
concerns in terms of not wanting to scare any of them away, nor wanting
them to think we were suddenly making CentOS Linux the same thing as RHEL.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade [he/him/his]| Senior Community Architect | @quaid
Red Hat Open Source Program Office (OSPO) : @redhatopen