[CentOS-devel] Christmas gift from SantaOS.

aleksander.baranowski

aleksander.baranowski at yahoo.pl
Wed Dec 16 11:46:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

When it comes to modules the situation is clusterfu**.

That reason why making EL8 took us so long. I'm quite sure that without
internal knowledge of modules (that only Fedora uses - and documentation
sucks) amount of reverse engineering is tremendous. The best place to
start is https://pagure.io/fm-orchestrator.

RHEL sources based/CentOS clones will also have different platform
string, that will make the whole system reinstall itself xDDDDDDD.
That's a reason why migrating to these solutions will be a pain in the neck.

Going back to src.rpms. If you are looking for src.rpms best bet is
using original RHEL src.rpms, these are readily available when you have
even minimal subscription. It's the much safer bet for long term system.

Imagine the following:

- RHEL made errata for package X version n release m.
- CentOS stream have package X version n release m+10.

Which one will be available on git.centos.org?

Using git.centos.org is a bad idea for next gen rebuilds IMO.

Bests,
Alex