[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Jean-Marc Liger

jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
Wed Dec 16 22:50:18 UTC 2020

Le 16/12/2020 à 12:35, Jim Jagielski a écrit :

>> On Dec 15, 2020, at 10:07 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/15/20 1:03 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Whose fault is that? And, to be honest, I never recall such an expectation ever being vocalized during my tenure @ RedHat (FTR: I was one of the people inside OSAS who drove the CentOS "acquisition" along w/ Carl Trieloff).
>>> The whole intent back then was "as long as there is going to be this huge community of 'free-loading' users out there, they might as well be under the RHEL/Fedora umbrella, rather than Canonical or elsewhere." I guess somewhere along the line that changed. The issue isn't that the situation changed but rather that up until very recently, promises were still being made and then RedHat backed out of those promises.
>> It is actually just as Jason Brooks has spelled out—we needed a slower-moving platform for our layered projects success. CentOS Linux was our best bet in 2013, when projects like OpenStack (RDO) and oVirt were growing and running into pains.
>>
> Again, the main concern was that with such layered products, it was deemed better if instead of people using Canonical, they stayed in the RedHat family, and officially having CentOS supported as a RedHat "effort" was the solution.
>
> Yes, people were not going to run OpenStack (or OpenShift) on Fedora, nor did it make sense to try to fold those directly into RHEL. CentOS was the "perfect" solution. The goal of SIGs was to determine what layered products, and in what format, people wanted. But the idea that CentOS was intended to be a 50/50 bidirectional codebase is simply rewriting history. The claim that the CentOS community never changed from what it was, and what RedHat *knew* it was, and what RedHat over the years (at least publicly) constantly indicated they were 100% happy about (That CentOS was a community of *users*) just seems like after the fact justification, with the sole intent of placing the blame ON CENTOS.

It now seems crystal clear Red Hat purchased CentOS 6 years ago as it
was the best OpenStack infrastructure for their purpose. And the best
value of this CentOS - Red Hat joint effort was not the binary rebuild
of RHEL, but all the additionnal SIGs provided with CentOS 7.

With Red Hat now focused on OpenShift, this golden age as ended and
CentOS Linux wasn't necessary in the suitable form it had always been
for years. This turned in a way that betrayed all the Red Hat promises,
the Community Entreprise OS was first and only interested for.

As in 2003 where Red Hat was the leading distro in the Linux World, the
trust has been broken again and many will flee to Debian or Ubuntu LTS,
but I personnaly dislike .deb and their system organisation.

I also have no time to wait for Rocky or Lenix, it will be a difficult
goal to achieve for the moment, or even jump to Springdale as this team
is not strong enough for the long run.

IBM/Red Hat has became the new evil for my point of vue. So between all
the evils I know, let's choose the lesser to deal with at the moment.
And Oracle actually renewed the promise IBM/Red Hat has just renied, a
binary rebuild of RHEL stucked on the 2029 EOL, with some awesome UEK
kernels I already use in production for years now.

https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/need-a-stable,-rhel-compatible-alternative-to-centos-three-reasons-to-consider-oracle-linux

I will still get an eye on s/CentOS/RHEL/g Stream, but the distro I
beloved since fourteen years has just fall in the grave, 2020 December
the 8th, RIP CentOS.

Jean-Marc LIGER