[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:36:19 UTC 2020

On Thu., Dec. 17, 2020, 3:13 a.m. Peter Eckel, <lists at eckel-edv.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 17. Dec 2020, at 09:03, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
> >
> > I know that Red Hat was and is free to decide what they want. But I can
> > assure you that the only reason why quite a number RHEL subscriptions
> have
> > been sold to the companies where I have worked in the past is that there
> > was a project called CentOS!
>
> if that is really the case (I think it could well be), the business
> decision of RedHat maybe makes perfect sense.
>
> Some other distribution will step in for CentOS Linux. Rocky, Lenix,
> Springsdale, whatever. That distribution/s will take the role of CentOS in
> paving the path for RHEL without RedHat having to paying for it.
>
> Sounds like a win/win-Situation, doesn't it?

Not at all. Vendors only just recognize CentOS as a valid vendor string and
provide support for it. They do not recognize Rocky or other (including
CentOS Stream) , and you are talking about repeating history and
reengineering something all over again that the community already built.

It is difficult to see this as anything except sabotage. It is in RHEL
interest, but not in user interest.

How can Red Hat eliminating what CentOS already was, to permit somebody
else to start over from scratch without being allowed to use the branding
and restarting the legal concerns, be considered a win /win?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but you still have a pig.