[CentOS-devel] Can the CentOS Stream FAQ be updated

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 17 16:22:58 UTC 2020

On 12/17/20 9:54 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> There has been some confusion around the new CentOS Stream timeframe.
>
> Through the past year we've been told that when CentOS Stream 9 comes
> out, CentOS Stream 8 will be phased out in a short period of time.

That is untrue.

The end date of CentOS Stream 8 is the end of the RHEL full support
period.  That is 5 years from the release of RHEL 8.  That is in the FAQ:

> With the new announcement we have been told that the CentOS Stream 8
> (and any future version) will be available during the maintenance
> phase of that release. [1]  This means that CentOS Stream 8 will be
> around for 5 years.
>
> I've been trying to send people to the CentOS Stream FAQ [2] because
> it's easier to find.  But the question [3] related to this hasn't been
> updated and says it will be a year at most.

Question 2 says:

Updates for the CentOS Stream 8 distribution continue through the full
RHEL support phase. .. It links directly to the RHEL page to say 5 years.