[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 17 16:28:39 UTC 2020

On 12/17/20 10:09 AM, Mark Mielke wrote:
> I've looked in detail at these "no cost RHEL". They are severely
> encumbered if you try to do it for real. Several of the suggestions in
> this thread from Red Hat staff demonstrate how little they know about
> what it is like to be a Red Hat customer.
>
> On Thu., Dec. 17, 2020, 10:45 a.m. Sandro Bonazzola,
> <sbonazzo at redhat.com <mailto:sbonazzo at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     Il giorno gio 17 dic 2020 alle ore 16:16 Leon Fauster via
>     CentOS-devel <centos-devel at centos.org
>     <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>> ha scritto:
>
>         Am 17.12.20 um 13:44 schrieb Sandro Bonazzola:
>         >
>         >
>         > Il giorno gio 17 dic 2020 alle ore 13:25 Dan Seguin
>         > <dan.seguin at cord3inc.com <mailto:dan.seguin at cord3inc.com>
>         <mailto:dan.seguin at cord3inc.com
>         <mailto:dan.seguin at cord3inc.com>>> ha scritto:
>         >
>         >     I see what you mean, and you saw what I meant.
>         >
>         >
>         >     Will there be a "free" RHEL distro that people can develop
>         on that
>         >     won't need a paid license?
>         >
>         > Like
>         >
>         https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/03/31/no-cost-rhel-developer-subscription-now-available/
>
>         >
>         <https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/03/31/no-cost-rhel-developer-subscription-now-available/
>
>         > ?
>
>         Sandro, as you make the pointer - can you explain what
>         production system
>         means? While being the usage border of such license? Most people
>         here
>         are in production businesses. So, what should we think when
>         making such
>         suggestion? Thanks.
>

>     Please refer
>     to https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faqs-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux#
>     <https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faqs-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux#>
>     and https://developers.redhat.com/terms-and-conditions
>     <https://developers.redhat.com/terms-and-conditions>

As i said .. Red Hat is currently creating NEW terms for using RHEL.
The way to interact with them is centos-questions at redhat.com.

There will be new use cases and new terms for those.  It should likely
happen by the end of QTR1 2021.

The current version for development rhel does indeed have many
restrictions.  Hence, the reason for the new list and the itesm in QTR1
2021.