[CentOS-devel] Can the CentOS Stream FAQ be updated

Troy Dawson

tdawson at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 17:25:56 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 8:24 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 12/17/20 10:22 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 12/17/20 9:54 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> There has been some confusion around the new CentOS Stream timeframe.
> >>
> >> Through the past year we've been told that when CentOS Stream 9 comes
> >> out, CentOS Stream 8 will be phased out in a short period of time.
> >
> > That is untrue.
> >
> > The end date of CentOS Stream 8 is the end of the RHEL full support
> > period.  That is 5 years from the release of RHEL 8.  That is in the FAQ:
> >

> >> With the new announcement we have been told that the CentOS Stream 8
> >> (and any future version) will be available during the maintenance
> >> phase of that release. [1]  This means that CentOS Stream 8 will be
> >> around for 5 years.
> >>
> >> I've been trying to send people to the CentOS Stream FAQ [2] because
> >> it's easier to find.  But the question [3] related to this hasn't been
> >> updated and says it will be a year at most.
> >
> > Question 2 says:
> >
> > Updates for the CentOS Stream 8 distribution continue through the full
> > RHEL support phase. .. It links directly to the RHEL page to say 5 years.
> >

> >> So, thus my question.  Can the CentOS Stream FAQ be updated with the new policy?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Troy Dawson
> >>
> >> [1] - https://centos.org/distro-faq/#q6-will-there-be-separateparallelsimultaneous-streams-for-8-9-10-etc
> >> [2] - https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOSStream
> >> [3] - https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOSStream#What_happens_when_CentOS_Stream_switches_from_RHEL_8_to_RHEL_9_based_content.3F
> >>

> BTW .. THIS is the FAQ:
>
> https://centos.org/distro-faq/
>
> The wiki is community maintained.

The FAQ that I linked to must have been updated before you read it.
Because it is quite different than when I originally linked to it.

I know you and your team are going through alot of garbage being
thrown at you from all sides.
I apologize if this seemed like just another sling at you.  It wasn't
intended to be.

But when I do a google on CentOS Stream FAQ, the link to the wiki is
what I, and others are getting.
I couldn't figure out who updates it, so I sent the request here.
Because, as you said, what it was saying was no longer true.

Troy