[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 02:15:23 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> There is also no reason 3rd party devel will not support Stream. It is
> absolutely in their best interest to do so.

It depends upon the type of vendor. Most vendors have the exact
opposite premise. They do the absolute minimum testing, and they delay
updates.

In the case of IBM Rational ClearCase, for example, they provide
support at least 90 days after the availability of the RHEL minor
release.

In the case of several hardware vendors - we are still stuck with RHEL
4, 5, and 6 in production use cases, because they either don't support
7, or only their newest version supports 7.

I don't agree with them. But, especially when it comes to specialized
use cases - and the choice of products are 1) bad or 2) worse, we are
limited in our deployment choices. Most of these vendors only barely
acknowledge the existence of CentOS. I don't see them acknowledging
CentOS 8 Stream for a very long time.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>