[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Dec 19 17:28:57 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 04:34:53AM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> 2. Minor release milestones to stabilize branches. We have breakage
> with most minor release upgrades, and the stabilization process is an
> important method of isolating users from being affected by this. This
> is why CentOS 8 Stream is being said "for developers", while RHEL 8
> would be "for production". It is being said, because it is a real
> thing. If you truly believed minor release milestones were unnecessary
> for CentOS 8 Stream, then you would also believe that minor release
> milestones were unnecessary for RHEL 8.

It's important to note that the CentOS Linux rebuild never actually had
this. RHEL minor releases are actually branches, and you can stay at a minor
release and still get security updates. For CentOS Linux, a minor release is
a point where updates pause for a while while the team scrambles to rebuild
a large update of many packages and then those packages all updated in a big
chunk _on the single CentOS branch_. So this is always been extra value that
Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides that CentOS Linux did not mimic.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>