[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Sat Dec 19 21:11:32 UTC 2020

On 19/12/2020 20:37, Trevor Hemsley via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On 19/12/2020 20:09, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 12/19/20 1:13 AM, Peter Georg wrote:
>>> However I disagree on one point: You mention CentOS Stream can cover
>>> "95% (or so)" of the current users. As long as 3rd party drivers are
>>> not working with CentOS Stream the number will be lower.
>>

>> Do you have a reason to think that > 5% of users need 3rd party drivers?
>>

>>> In my opinion, the only way to guarantee compatibility is by 100%
>>> kernel ABI compatibility.
>>
>> Stream is going to continue to get the same kernel that RHEL gets,
>> it's just going to get updates earlier.
>
> No, it's not, That's the point. It's going to have the unstable kernel
> from the NEXT point release so it will not be the same kernel as the
> current RHEL point release. Case in point, RHEL 8.3 has 4.18.0-240
> series kernels, Stream had changed to a 4.18.0-257 kernel within 2 or 3
> days of CentOS 8.3 being released.
>
>> In the past, users with binary 3rd party drivers would need to wait a
>> while after a point release before they could update their kernel.  In
>> CentOS Stream, they'll have to wait a while after a kernel package
>> update before they can update their kernel.
>
> And that change happened on a predictable, approximately 6 month
> interval. And required the third party drivers to be rebuild once per
> point release and usually, by the time the CentOS build was done, those
> drivers were already rebuilt and already available since they had been
> done for the preceding RHEL point release.
>
> So we're going from a once every 6 months rebuild to a once every time
> the RHEL kernel developers feel like changing. Those changes were
> abstracted from the CentOS and RHEL kernels by the fact that KABI
> changes only happened (intentionally!) at point releases. Now that will
> change whenever someone in the kernel development team commits a
> breaking change. So we're going from a rebuild the drivers every 6
> months to rebuild the drivers whenever RH feel like breaking it. That
> could be once a month or once a week or every time the kernel is updated
> or even once every 6 months like stable RHEL (though the chances of that
> are slim IMO). And since RHEL will still be using the old kernel series,
> that means that the third party yum repos have to invent a new way to
> cater for both RHEL and Stream since they will be different.
>
> Trevor

This whole argument is all a matter of perspective, from which side of
the fence you are looking.

As a *developer* of 3rd party driver packages *for RHEL*, CentOS Stream
will work well for me as a CI develop system to help me develop driver
packages for the *next* RHEL release (8.4). I get to see what changes
are *coming* and can develop against them. That said, I kind of already
had that ability from the old RHEL point release betas but I gather
moving forward we will get far more kernel updates to Stream than we
have to date. To be clear, we develop for RHEL. We will not be
developing *for* Stream, but we may well use Stream to help develop for
the next RHEL point release.

So for me as a developer, Stream is fine. But for my users, the 2
million or so people who use and depend upon the software package we
distribute, Stream is a non-starter. These packages are developed for
RHEL (and CentOS Linux as a binary compatible clone). Stream is not a
replacement for CentOS Linux. CentOS Linux is dead, gone (or rather
going). Those Enterprise Linux users viewing Stream as a replacement to
CentOS Linux, they are trying to bash a square peg into a round hole if
they have a requirement to use 3rd party drivers.