[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Strahil Nikolov

hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 08:29:14 UTC 2020

> I think Red Hat did everything we could to stress that this rebuild
> was community supported and best effort.  Anyone mixing "free" and
> "enterprise" at work need to accept any risks that come along with
> that, I always did when I ran CentOS in production.  Even with all of
> that, we gave a year's notice for 8 and let 7 continue in its natural
> life.  We provided a viable (but not identical) alternative, and are
> working to find ways too get free RHEL to people.  We're going to
> stand by that all of that, why?  Because at the end of the day, any
> comparisons to us and Oracle, or "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" are
> unfounded.  We made a very unpopular decision here, I get that.  But
> the difference is while we stand by that decision we actually do care
> about the impact it has had and are trying to make it right with many
> of you.

Not unpopular, but impulsive.Timing is wrong - should have been done
earlier or later , but not now.The RHEL programs should have been
established before announcing such stuff.
Stream could be great, could be worse - we will see. With those
mistakes , many people will be disgusted by anything RH has touched
which includes Stream,and will reduce the addoption rate by a
magninute.Even I'm considering if I should invest more time learning
RHEL products and switching to other interesting stuff.
Best Regards,Strahil Nikolov