[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 23:33:59 UTC 2020

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 12:29 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>> It's important to note that the CentOS Linux rebuild never actually had
>> this. RHEL minor releases are actually branches, and you can stay at a minor
>> release and still get security updates.
> Are you saying the
> CentOS point releases do *not* match as closely as possible the
> corresponding RHEL point release?

No, no one is saying that.  Matthew said that you can stay at a minor
release of RHEL and still get security updates.  CentOS does not offer that.

In RHEL, a minor release is a branch.  You can install RHEL 7.8, and
keep a host on RHEL 7.8 until the end of its life cycle.  If you want
long term support for an OS with minimal changes, but continued support,
that's a thing that RHEL provides.

CentOS doesn't offer that.  If you're using CentOS, you're always on the
"latest" branch.  You either apply feature updates that come with each
point release to get security updates, or you stop applying updates
entirely and run the risks that come with not applying security or
bugfix updates.

Mark is confusing the issue somewhat.  I *think* he is trying to say
that when we say that CentOS point releases have no branches, we're
saying that there's no QA, which is absolutely not what we're saying.
We're not talking about the back end development process, we're talking
about the products that are delivered to customers.  Customers can
choose what branch of the RHEL product to deploy on their systems, and
how long to use a given point release.  CentOS users don't get that
level of support.