[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 04:55:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:40 PM Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it the word "test" that you associate with beta?  Because *of course*
> you should test a product before you deploy it.  You should also test
> your software on RHEL before you deploy it.  That doesn't make RHEL a
> beta, it's just a part of you doing due diligence with your own
> configuration.

Firefox ESR team: We are making 78.0, 78.1, and 78.2 available for
organizations to test with. We will make 78.3 widely available, and an
automatic update.

RHEL 7: We will start from 78.3, because we are a responsible
Enterprise Linux company, and we work with the Firefox ESR team, and
we understand that 78.3 is the version that should be used to replace
68.

CentOS 7: We will start from 78.3, because RHEL started with 78.3.

CentOS 7 Stream: We will start from 78.2, to test 78 before dropping
it on our RHEL customers. (CentOS 7 Stream does not exist - but if it
had...)

Gordon: I see no problem with CentOS 7 Stream strategy. Seems fine to
me. What's wrong?

> > I don't know if we are playing word games here - or if you truly
> > believe it is a responsible choice to broadly deploy an early access
> > version to a set of "Enterprise" customers. I'll use whatever word you
> > want, as long as we agree that CentOS 8 Stream is for people who are
> > *developing* CentOS. It is not for "Enterprise production
> > deployments". I will comment further on another one of your posts.
> Sure.  I'm not saying that people who want an enterprise production
> environment should use CentOS Stream for that purpose. You should
> probably look at RHEL for that.

Maybe. Maybe not. Going back to my original problem - the Red Hat
subscription model is broken and does not scale. Are you using RHEL at
scale? Why or why not?

> I *would* say that I expect CentOS Stream to be better than CentOS is
> today, for most purposes.

How are you defining "most purposes"? Do most purposes include
"Enterprise production deployments" or not? Because, CentOS 8 exists
for "Enterprise production deployments", which I think is "most
purposes". You are just ignoring this use case, and *then* claiming
that CentOS 8 Stream is acceptable for "most purposes".

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>