[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 17:29:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:03:47 -0600
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > problem is, and I think too few people realize this:
> >
> > Red Hat isn't aiming for total global domination
> >

> Absolute complete and utter nonsense.
>
> That is what any company aims for, even if they don't achieve it.
> It is the simple objective, and outcome, of capitalism. Beat the rest.
>
> So this is about growing/expanding market share, which then equates to
> profit. Why wouldn't you?
>

> (I'm not arguing the right or wrongs of this, but it is the natural
> conclusion, if you don't get broken up for monopolisation.)
>
> If you argue anything else you really are quite simply gaslighting.

You have grossly oversimplified a complicated situation and completely
ignored corporate responsibility which is something Red Hat takes very
seriously.

> I really wish all the Hatters who have been wheeled out in defence of
> this decision stop their corporate mealy mouthed blather, which anyone
> can see straight through, and be honest.
>
> Oh, and stop treating every CentOS user as a 'free loader'.
>
> It really is quite offensive and you are aren't winning any hearts and
> minds right now.

I'll admit something about Mark's reply didn't bring out the best in me.
However, I'll take every opportunity to dote on the team and on Red Hat,
they've done some amazing things that we have all benefited from.  There is
a lot more to Red Hat than the dollars and cents you're trying to distill
us down into.

        -Mike