[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Jean-Marc Liger

jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
Mon Dec 21 20:27:57 UTC 2020

Le 21/12/2020 à 18:31, Mike McGrath a écrit :

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM John Crisp
> <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk <mailto:jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 14:51:41 -0600 Mike McGrath
>     <mmcgrath at redhat.com <mailto:mmcgrath at redhat.com>> wrote:
>     > >
>     > > *Direct question: If the CentOS Project (via the Board), secures
>     > > funding for expenses relating to the rebuild, does it get to
>     > > continue CentOS Linux?*
>     > >
>     > Direct answer: Red Hat is out of the downstream building business.
>     > None of our other products have a downstream build sponsored by Red
>     > Hat, RHEL won't either.  The cost was only one of many
>     considerations
>     > here.
>     >

>     That's the 'Extinguish' bit. Comes after 'Embrace' and 'Extend'.
>

> Uhhh, there is no Extinguish in Open Source.  That's the entire
> point.  We embraced, we extended.  If others want to carry on the
> torch they are more than welcome to do so.
>
>           -Mike

Again, a fair way of doing things would have been, Hey guys since we Red
Hat have bought CentOS, making a downstream release of RHEL is just a
nonsense, It costs us time and money we can save. So let's reverse the
process and make RHEL a downstream of CentOS, it will now be Fedora ELN
- > CentOS Stream - > CentOS Linux - > RHEL.

There would have been no downstream build sponsored by Red Hat, CentOS
Linux would have kill other clones this way, as it already did for
Scientific Linux 8, the CentOS Community would have been happy to help
to get a better RHEL in the Stream process, and Red Hat folks could have
put all the value of their brand and specificities in their final
products, backed with a strong ecosystem they could have controlled.

I eared you no answer about this proposal, could you tell me why if it's
not all about grabbing more money from the CentOS Community ?

            -Jean-Marc