[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 01:20:24 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 1:44 AM Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> I wrote a blog post to share with you:
> https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/balancing-the-needs-around-the-centos-platform/

Lots of posts later - I think everybody knows where everybody stands,
and there isn't much point in debating further. It sounds like it is a
done deal that CentOS 8 is gone, that CentOS 8 Stream is live, and
that if we don't like it we need to look elsewhere.

I have the same requirements I did in 2016 when we first started to
consider options, and ask Red Hat for options. At the time, I was a
fan of Red Hat, and I had looked to Red Hat to provide some sort of
acceptable compromise on subscription that would allow for a win/win.
The offer provided was not appreciably different from list price of
subscribing every single machine in the company no matter whether it
needed support or not, and this made other options attrative. This
forced us to (sadly) remove Red Hat Enterprise Linux from our systems,
and replace it with something else. We want to stay a part of the
community, but we are not likely to be able to use CentOS 8 Stream. As
much as there is assurances from people on this list that CentOS 8
Stream is similar to, or better than CentOS 8 for production purposes,
CentOS 8 Stream is not likely to meet our requirements.

Please let us know what alternate options Red Hat has for CentOS 8.
Otherwise, we will be looking elsewhere.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>