[CentOS-devel] Teachings of the tea

Jean-Marc Liger

jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
Tue Dec 22 14:15:19 UTC 2020

Le 22/12/2020 à 02:18, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS-devel a écrit :
> On 21.12.2020 19:09, Jean-Marc Liger wrote:
>> You can try pouring tea into a cup, if it is full, the tea will flow
>> from it. As long as Red Hat doesn't want to empty a part of the cup, all
>> these discussions are a waste of precious time until you find another
>> cup.
>>
>> Jean-Marc
> To the best of my understanding, people involved in long threads here
> are currently trying to justify/unjustify the switch to CentOS Stream.
>
> I would assume those willing to proceed with what CentOS actually was,
> are now switching their efforts to Rocky (Lenix... add to the list if
> necessary) or, possibly, other Linux distributions.
>
> Personally, I see that as simple business move to brush off those CentOS
> community part who are neither on RH payroll, nor their paying
> customers. That said, I just chose another direction to move to and
> another cause to support.

I use COPR builders for CentOS Stream, they are regularly broken, so
nothing more to say that it has to be used for playground only.

Original CentOS Linux is a dead end now and I'm a pragmatism fan as all
slavics, so I don't want to waste my time and energy for useless moves.

Nevermind if it's a sad choice, but Red Had has already betrayed me two
times, and in best effort I will progressively my servers migrate to
Oracle Linux, first one in testing mode last week, kernels UEK are more
up to date, MySQL is in full edition, and they have achieved a pretty
good documentation as well.

Last, if a new Community OS arise (Rocky, Lenix, back CentOS...) I'll
will give a try and make another decision again.

Jean-Marc