[CentOS-devel] Stream timing

Tue Dec 22 21:38:00 UTC 2020
Julien Pivotto <roidelapluie at inuits.eu>

Hello All,

I have one very specific question about stream and I can't really find
an answer.

What happened with the timing around the announcement on the stop of
CentOS Linux?

- Just after CentOS 6 is EOL so many people went to 8
- At the time of CentOS 8.3, and many people generally skip the first
  initial release and move on in .2 or .3.
- When stream is not ready (it has been pointed out here that RHEL
  engineers would use it start of next year)
- One year notice, which is not a lot when you expected 8 more.
- ( In the middle of a pandemic. While it's not red hat fault, we already
  have a lot to handle. )

It seems that this decision was rushed a lot, it could probably have
been delayed, to have RHEL engineers working on stream, and maybe even
keep CentOS 8 running until 2024?

What happened?

Sub question: will the EL8 sources be available until 2029 for the
rebuilds? Or will they also have to stop earlier?

--
Julien Pivotto