[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 07:14:03 UTC 2020

> It's why I say they're taags" and find the model
> mentioned here that "it's all one branch" to not match reality

For fun, I'll try again:

RHEL point releases are branches.  7.6 is a branch.  7.7 is a branch.
You can continue running 7.6 and receive security updates after 7.7 is
released.  Those updates may include packages built specifically for
7.6, and not just a selection of the packages for 7.7.  They're
maintained in parallel, at the same time.  They're branches.

CentOS point releases weren't individual branches.  There was only one
CentOS 7 branch.  CentOS 7.6 was just a point in time along the lifetime
of CentOS 7.  7.6 is not literally a tag, but it's the closest analogy.
There was no continued support for CentOS 7.6 after CentOS 7.7 was
released.  If there's no parallel maintenance, there is only one branch.

In an VCS, you can create a branch and continue work, and later create
another branch off of that and continue work, but if you never add any
work to an older branch after a new branch is created, then you're only
using branches in a very superficial sense.  There are technically
branches, but there's no difference in that workflow between several
branches and just one, because you have just one linear history
containing every commit.  This resembles CentOS updates.

RHEL point releases get updates that aren't just updates for a later
release.  As an analogy, there are updates in the older branches that
aren't in the new branches, unlike CentOS.

CentOS has just one branch:

* 7.5
  \
   * 7.6
    \
     * 7.7

RHEL has multiple branches that overlap in time:

  \
    \