[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Dec 24 00:31:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 09:38:19PM +0000, Phil Perry wrote:
> >It seems like Wireguard might be a good example of something for an
> >alternate kernel maintained by a SIG. (Like the Xen SIG does.)
> Why would you do that? The method we use in Enterprise Linux to
> deliver 3rd party out-of-tree drivers is the RHEL Driver Update

Because it's an out-of-tree but open source driver.

> If Red Hat really wanted to fix this in (a) kernel, the solution
> would have been to accept the repeated upstream requests to backport
> the driver into the RHEL kernel, but that idea/request has been
> rejected.

Right, Red Hat's gonna make business decisions about what goes into the RHEL
kernel, and pulling in out-of-tree backports is pretty expensive. But this
is exactly the kind of thing CentOS SIGs are empowered to do. See again the
Virt/Xen SIG.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>