[CentOS-devel] What should I do in my cluster? CentOS streams dilemma.

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Fri Dec 25 23:27:04 UTC 2020

On Friday, December 25, 2020 5:05 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 12/25/20 9:02 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> > On 12/25/20 5:24 AM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> >
> > > Con of using CentOS Stream is it .. packages will be released before
> > > getting the same level of QA of RHEL 8 or CentOS 8.
> >
> > Several Red Hat and CentOS engineers have said that each CentOS Stream
> > package will have passed QA before they are published.
>
> And Red Hat executives said nothing will change for CentOS Linux and
> here we are (YMMV) ...

Actually, if you read carefully statements made by Karsten Wade and Johnny Hughes, it appears they still believe technically nothing has changed for the majority of users.

I would be willing to accept that Stream has the potential to fit the needs of CentOS 8 users.  That isn't the change that bothers me.

What bothers me is the level of disrespect for foundational promises made to the community.

They have been pushing that "a lot of people" were involved in this decision.  That is not the same as being *public*.  That is not the same as being *transparent*.

What exactly was said to decide Dec 31, 2021 is the date instead of June 30, 2024 to be in line with CentOS 7?

What was Brian "Bex" Exelbierd from the RHEL team doing there?  What did he say?

It seems we will never know for sure.  I can *imagine* what was said and I am getting really close to posting my *imaginary* transcript but that also is not a good replacement for the real transcript.

It has been reiterated that this was a hard decision for everyone involved.  That might be true.  But how hard is it to keep the promises made about how CentOS Governance would work once joined with Red Hat?  How hard is it to honor the claim there would be a firewall between CentOS and RHEL?