[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Dec 27 00:18:05 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 6:03 PM Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 12/26/20 11:48 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > I suspect the very trust that you all were putting in Red Hat to
> > continue to produce CentOS Linux as though it were actually a 10-year
> > enterprise-grade distribution for production was part of the problem
> > here.  To further demonstrate that problem, many of the replies I've
> > seen look as though people did their risk assessments with "we're
> > relying on Red Hat for our OS" instead of "We're relying on a community
> > for our OS."  I'd imagine some of you are having very awkward
> > conversations with your management chain about this.  No one using
> > Fedora or WildFly thinks that way.
>
> Considering Red Hat bought entire CentOS project in total secret, or
> should we say bribed CentOS dev group with jobs, you do not get to say
> "why should we continue to build it" without admitting that Red Hat's
> goal was to kill it all along but needed to control the clone building
> process first. How was it said? Embrace, Engulf, Extinguish?
> Either say both or neither.

 I wasn't involved in the beginning and am not privy to those discussions
so I won't comment on them.  I will say that many of the paid CentOS
engineers are the most vocal community advocates on my team.  Saying they
were bribed is pretty bad form, especially if you actually know any
of them.  They gave you and others years of stability and often in
challenging situations.

        -Mike