[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Sun Dec 27 10:13:09 UTC 2020

On 27.12.2020 05:48, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 4:12 PM Chris Mair <chris at 1006.org
> <mailto:chris at 1006.org>> wrote:
>     You say us (the community) isn't providing you (Red Hat) with
>     profit. Well,
>     who do you think installed CentOS Linux and recommended RHEL to our
>     pointy haired bosses that wanted support contracts?
>
>     Maybe you sold 1 RHEL subscription for any 100 CentOS we installed.
>
>     Well, now you're going to sell exactly 0 RHEL subscriptions for any
>     of the 100 Ubuntu or Debian boxes I'm going to set up with my clients.
>
> Unfortunately with these last ones we've seen no evidence of this
> happening (where CentOS is actually leading to RHEL sales.  We have seen
> a little evidence of the opposite.  Where we once had RHEL sales, and
> now have CentOS.  Why?  "They're both built by Red Hat, right?"

That only means your marketing people poorly did their homework.

That's the obvious metric - encourage CentOS users to supply you with
data on how actively they were promoting paid RH services.

>     Before you say "Stream", the single most killer argument against
 Stream
>     is that you have broken any trust when you moved the EOL of CentOS
>     Linux 8
>     from 2029 to 2021.
>
> I think we lost a lot of trust due to a pretty serious mix-up
> about the EOL date announcement, but I don't think it has erased all
 the
> good Red Hat has done and continues to do.

As our saying goes, "count your chickens when autumn comes". Let's see
what comes in several years.

You've already repeated (indirectly) many times that RH basically
doesn't care about losing community that doesn't bring immediate profits
(in good correlation with a corporation priority #1).

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)