[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Jean-Marc Liger

jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
Sun Dec 27 13:03:32 UTC 2020

Le 26/12/2020 à 20:09, Jean-Marc Liger a écrit :

> Le 26/12/2020 à 18:17, Mike McGrath a écrit :
>
>> We've been evaluating that goas for years and I (and others) are
>> unconvinced why we should be doing that. None of our other products
>> have a downstream build that we sponsor.  What benefit does doing
>> something we've already done (RHEL), and doing it again (CentOS
>> Rebuild), have for Red Hat?  Believe me, when I tell you we looked
>> for years to find an answer to that, no one enjoyed this
>> announcement.  But when you look at it, CentOS Linux no longer makes
>> any sense to sponsor.
>>
> As I said below, the idea is to produce a downtream RHEL clone, with
> CentOS Stream as the continuous beta release for RHEL, and Centos
> Linux the bitwise release candidate for RHEL you can last adjust with
> the feedback of the CentOS community. It's a simple and valuable
> answer to what you've been looking for years.

No answer again, as the end goal of this initiative is to kill CentOS
Linux, maybe not to get Community money back, but surely because it
reduces some RHEL sales. However this is not a Community responsibility,
it is all Red Hat's fault when it bought CentOS and gave more
credibility to this project without highlighting the value of RHEL over
CentOS Linux. I proposed a solution for that dilemna which end all the
downstream process and restored some trust we could put in Red Hat, and
this advice is free of charge.

>> RHEL is a downstream rebuild of Stream.  Perhaps the missing piece
>> you need to help isn't another rebuild, but free actual RHEL?

And what should be the terms of this free actual RHEL we could be
helpfull for ?