[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Mon Dec 28 00:24:32 UTC 2020

>>> You certainly control when you can and want upgrade your deployment
>>> systems. It has nothing to do with the cadence of updates coming into a
>>> distribution.
>>>
>>> I find this fixation on the kernel updates is skewing things a lot.
>>> Kernel, certainly, is important, but it is not the thing that is RHEL or
>>> CentOS distribution, alone.
>>>
>> It is crucial issue if you install any kernel module not provided by Red
>> Hat (3rd party drivers). If some software that you might or might not
>> use brakes, you can mess around your working system and fix it.
>> But if after dnf update your system crashes or network is down, and it
>> is bare metal system, they you are f**ked, you need to reach the system
>> manually (I install on regular PC hardware without ILO) and reverse to
>> prior kernel. Even if I am quick about it, it will be very embarrassing
>> for me in front of my clients (small in number as they are) whose work
>> will stop for that period, so I will not be caught dead using CentOS
>> Stream, I do not need the potential headache, embarrassment.
>
> That's pretty obvious with any system, really, no need to repeat that.
> I think this topic was raised multiple times (by you and others already)
> to realize that. In an ideal collaborative world, perhaps, those
> 3rd-party drivers could be build and tested automatically on top of the
> CentOS Stream, though we are yet to reach that point of collaboration.

Seams it IS needed since you think it is not that important and I think
it is crucial. When you dismissed it so easily as irrelevant, I thought
you were not informed.

> Following your approach to a detailed information about the Stream,
> we've been told there are various RHEL subscription programs coming next
> year that would address use of RHEL for many existing CentOS users.
> Perhaps, those programs would address the needs of consumers of
> 3rd-party drivers too, before we'd reach the collaboration ideal I
> outlined above. Let's see how that goes.

So you think Red Hat will offer no-cost subscription to a small 5-10
employee company, not in any way related to education or non-profits,
that needs 1 CPU / 16-32GB RAM Linux server for mdadm RAID10 + Samba + KVM ?

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)