[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Laurențiu Păncescu

lpancescu at centosproject.org
Tue Dec 29 09:06:10 UTC 2020

On 12/29/20 8:33 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
> For me the characteristics of RedHat EL/CentOS have always been:
> * It's stable, and stable for 10 years minus the first ~1-2.
> * It's old and outdated, nothing to make developers happy.
> * It provides a quite limited package set with high stability and quality.
> A lot of interesting stuff (things like Tomcat) have to be installed from
> elsewhere without stability and high quality or easy management.
> * It has a lot of competitors but the long support is unique.
> * As an admin, if you have a lot developers around you, you ALWAYS have to
> defend the usage of RHEL/CentOS because ALMOST EVERY developer would like
> to use something else.

For me it makes more sense to pick a distro based on application needs,
it saves a lot of trouble if what you need isn't directly supported by
RHEL base repos:

* if your organization or customers mandate RHEL, or you need
third-party hardware drivers or expensive applications (CAD, medical
imaging, FEA, physics simulations) only certified on RHEL, then RHEL it is
* if you're developing upstream software like the kernel, or for
statically-linked microservices or utilities in Go, Fedora has the
latest upstream releases and is very stable considering how fast it changes
* if you develop application with lots of dependencies, like Java
enterprise apps or apps in Rails or Django, the huge selection of
packages in Debian or Ubuntu LTS will provide you stable versions with
security updates handled by the Debian or Canonical security teams, so
your application keeps running without fighting Maven or having to
choose between a security vulnerability and a newer version in a
third-party repo breaking your application (Debian almost never breaks
something with security updates or point releases, because they don't
backport new features to old versions, proprietary hardware drivers are
not an issue with Ubuntu or Debian if running on AWS, and HP and Dell
offer physical servers with Ubuntu LTS support[0])
* if you need DTrace, ZFS or the best network throughput, FreeBSD can do
that very well (but FreeBSD Ports is similar to Gentoo, no stable
versions that only get security updates)

Backpack, formerly 37signals, wrote in 2006 that they run RHEL 6 on the
database servers while their application servers use Ubuntu LTS, so I
guess I'm not the only one looking at this pragmatically.[1]

I only used Debian and CentOS until now, but I think Ubuntu got so
popular because they hit the sweet spot: 5 years of support and you get
the same binaries and timely security updates even if you don't pay
anything (10 years of support with Ubuntu Advantage, paid), big
selection of packages, reasonably new versions of packages, third-party
driver support from some OEMs, PPAs from Nginx and others, many
developers you would hire are already familiar with it from home (I only
used Debian and CentOS, not Ubuntu, though).

[0] https://linux.dell.com/files/supportmatrix/Ubuntu_Support_Matrix.pdf
[1]
https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3202-behind-the-scenes-the-hardware-that-powers-basecamp-campfire-and-highrise