[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 30 17:42:23 UTC 2020

On 12/30/20 3:47 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> He should also consider finding a more reputable hardware vendor.

Hey Nico, I'm right here.... :-)  Anyway, these servers are Dell.  Dell
isn't a reputable vendor these days?

In any case, it's a moot point, since I didn't pick these servers, the
servers picked me (that is, they were donated to us, and, to modify an
old saying in my area of the world, "never look a gift server in the
RAID controller."  (the original expression: "never look a gift horse in
the mouth.")).

> Those so-called "megaraid" chipsets were abominable monstrosities and
> there were a number of extremely poorly written vendor kernel hacks
> supporting them.

As mostly an end-user these days, I really couldn't care less what kind
of hacks are required.  I just know that we as a public charity were
donated these servers to put to use; I intend to put them to use in the
spirit of the US Internal Revenu Code Section 501(c)(3).  They beat the
two-generations-older Dell PowerEdge 1950s that they are replacing,
which still use the same basic RAID chipset and have serious performance
bottlenecks as KVM hosts with modern KVM.

--

They say hindsight is 20/20; can we make 2020 be hindsight now?