[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 30 17:46:12 UTC 2020

On 12/29/20 7:04 AM, Phil Perry wrote:
> Unfortunately there's an issue with driver disk ISO images too, as
> they are based on point release GA kernels (as are most all OEM ISO
> driver disks), and Stream regularly releases new installation media
> based on the latest Stream kernel, so if you need a 3rd party driver
> disk to install, you are probably out of luck and may not even be able
> to install CentOS Stream, even if a driver were available. I'm
> guessing for the next year you could install CentOS Linux 8 and
> convert to Stream, but after 2021 that will no longer be an option.

Yes, thanks for the reminder there.  While I haven't decided what
exactly I'm going to do yet (I'm going to wait a few months before
making a final decsion), it's good to have options.  And I thank you and
the rest of the intrepid ELrepo team for all your fine work supporting
these drivers for RHEL, even though I use them on CentOS.