[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 30 21:45:41 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 3:23 AM, Laurențiu Păncescu <lpancescu at centosproject.org> wrote:

> An HFT algorithm losing 2% of transactions for several months would be
> a major issue, and worse things can happen in critical applications
> in medical, military or heavy industry - it's difficult enough to
> get software right without constantly changing dependencies

Wait.  Step back for a moment.

Are we trying to claim Stream is what would cross the line for not complying with IEC 62304?  Because as far as I can tell CentOS 7/8 and RHEL 7/8 never claimed to be compliant with IEC 62034.

Did the medical industry ever really learn it's lesson from the Therac-25? [1]

Or are they still horrifically cutting corners on basic concepts?  [2]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25
[2] https://hackaday.com/2018/01/22/seek-and-exploit-security-vulnerabilities-in-an-infusion-pump/

I would like to visit how we can use Linux in mission critical settings but I think it is outside the scope of the impact killing CentOS 8 at the end of 2021 has.